I must say, I'm having a really good time checking out all the cool blogs on the VeganMoFo III participant list. There are so many fab blogs out there!! Kudos to fellow mofoers everywhere!
Anyway, I'm short for time today, so I'm just going to post something quick and fun. Below are my responses to the VeganMofo Survey that is circulating out there; I've seen it on several blogs, originally posted on the Whoa Wren blog. I've enjoyed reading all the responses I've seen so far...so I'd thought I'd post mine. Besides, who can resist a survey?
VeganMoFo Survey from Whoa Wren
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Tie: Rice Dream Unsweetened Original & Living Harvest Hemp Unsweetened Original; I like the rice milk for flavor, but the hemp milk is high in Omega 3s, so I like it because of the health benefits.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Twice-baked potatoes, pumpkin ravioli, delicata squash lasagne with hazelnuts
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Garlic salt & chili powder
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
The most recent one was a few weeks ago; I tried to make a Mushroom Burgundy sauce...
The idea was: mushrooms in a rich red wine sauce
The reality was: a horrible gray gunge that tasted really weird (in a bad way)
5. Favorite pickled item?
Pickled Peppers!!!! Tie between the following: Mezzetta Golden Greek Peperoncini & Rio Verde Quindillas Vascas
6. How do you organize your recipes?
The natural state of my recipes must be unorganized, because even when I try to put some order to them, they mysteriously end up all unorganized again.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Compost: I do some of my own, but I have it easy because we have a city composting program: I can put compost items in my yard waste.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Pickled peppers, garlic, & tomatoes...because these are things I could eat every day and never tire of. Hopefully, I could find some tubers or something on the island to use them with.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
My Mom’s ricotta lasagna w/ red sauce--this was a frequent Sunday meal at our house, and I always requested it for my birthday dinner.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Living Harvest Tempt; I don’t buy ice cream very often, but I tried the Tempt Vanilla Bean recently and it was very good.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Oregano; it’s one of the few herbs that I use in dried form. I put it in almost everything I cook.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Bread by Beth Hensperger; it was a gift from my sister-in-law when I was in college. I used to bake stuff from it to try to impress college boyfriends.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
I love savory jams and chutneys, like rhubarb chutney or garlic-apple jam.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Eggplant & lentil moussaka or butternut squash lasagna w/ hazelnuts
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tofu (I like them all, but tofu wins.)
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Dinner; I love to potter around in the kitchen, and dinner time is when I have the most time to relax and potter. Dinner is also my favorite meal of the day.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Olive oil and coconut oil
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Pesto, vegan sausage, bread
20. What’s on your grocery list?
My current grocery list includes: potatoes, Blue-Style Sheeze, green onions, dry mustard, agave nectar, baking soda, and grains to make a kashi
21. Favorite grocery store?
Puget Consumers Co-op
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
My Mom’s braciole…this was another childhood favorite, but I’m not so sure how I would like it now…even veganized. I've put a special request in to Vegan Epicurean, who is a gifted veganizer.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday).
I have a whole list of food blogs I read regularly ---->
But, three of my favorites are Vegan Epicurean, VeganLovlie, and i eat food.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Panda Black Licorice
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
I’ll eat it if it’s not too strong-tasting. I’ve used it a couple of times: once was arame seaweed in miso soup, and the other was a rice and avocado wrap in kombu. I’m always afraid I’m not going to be able to eat the end result if the flavor is too strong.