Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tomato Pesto


This recipe is based on semi-dried tomatoes. Regular sun-dried tomatoes will work fine, but I would reduce the amount to 2/3 or 3/4 of a cup, as their flavor is more concentrated than the semi-dried tomatoes. This makes about 1 cup of concentrated pesto; it's potent and tangy, and the garlic flavor becomes more pronounced as the flavors meld. I like to make it as a concentrate and then add extra oil as I use it if I want a more unctuous consistency.

Measurements
1 cup semi-dried tomato halves
3/4 cup raw cashews
1 large garlic clove
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix all ingredients well in blender, scraping down the sides at least once during blending. The semi-dried tomatoes I used were already seasoned with salt and pepper, so I didn't need to add anything else.

I use tomato pesto for all sorts of things, adding it to sauces, lasagnes, sandwiches, pizzas, calzones, and soups. It adds a potent, tangy tomato flavor.

One of my favorite breakfasts is tomato pesto and hummus sandwiches with shredded carrot and sprouts (I'm eating one right now in fact).

3 comments:

  1. Rose,

    The tomato pesto sounds really good. I have never tried to make pesto with cashews but it sounds like a great idea.

    I love the idea of including the tomato pesto in a hummus sandwich. I have chickpeas cooking now for hummus. I know what I will be having for lunch tomorrow.

    thanks again for the ideas,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,

    I was out hiking all day yesterday, so didn't see your comment until now. As usual with my recipes, the pesto is just a guideline...some may want to use less oil initially, or more, etc. I like it really strong and pungent. I it is really good with hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,

    I had a few crackers with hummus and sun dried tomato pesto for a snack earlier. You are right about the combination, it was quite good. My husband wants hummus and pesto for lunch next week.

    Hiking sounds like fun! Apparently your weather was better than ours yesterday (temp in the mid 90's with a similar level of humidity ... it was brutal), so we went out for dinner.

    thanks again for the suggestion on the hummus and pesto,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...