Saturday, August 15, 2009

Semi-dried Tomatoes


The tomatoes I'm growing this year are a small but juicy variety, and they cook up a lot like paste tomatoes. So aside from making lots of tomato-based dinners, I've also been making batches of semi-dried tomatoes. So sweet and slightly tangy--they're worth making just for the aroma that wafts through the house as they slowly dry in the oven.

This is pretty basic, so please improvise. A lot of recipes call for thyme, and I've seen ones that call for wonderful things like pomegranate molasses, but I prefer to keep mine simple and just use fresh oregano.

Method
Slice some tomatoes (low acidity varieties like Roma work well) and arrange on a baking tray. Drizzle with good olive oil, freshly ground pepper, a light sprinkle of salt, and any other herb that suits your fancy. Bake in a 200 degree (F) oven for 4-10 hours.

The drying time is a guide; the baking time depends on how dry you want them and how juicy or big your tomatoes are. I check on mine every so often, and when I like the way they look I take them out.

Here are some semi-dried toms after 4 hours in the oven:

...little jewels to adorn your food.

They keep in the fridge for several days; packing them in good-quality olive oil will help them keep a little longer.


2 comments:

  1. Rose,

    Slow roasted tomatoes are one of my favorite things! They freeze well if you get carried away (this has happened to me). I sometimes use canned whole tomatoes to make these in the winter when fresh tomatoes aren't worth eating.

    Thanks for reminding me to make these while the summer tomatoes are still bountiful and sweet.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,

    It's good to know that they freeze well. And thanks for the idea of using winter tomatoes this way!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...