Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Dessert Arancini


VeganMofo Day 30: Fusion Challenge!

My fusion challenge creation is meant to be a melding of Italian arancini and rice pudding. I'm not sure if this qualifies as true fusion as rice pudding is something found in a lot of cuisines around the world... 

Meanwhile, arancini (little oranges) are fried rice balls, usually made of left over risotto with some sort of filling in the center. If anything at least, this a fusion of a savory dish with a sweet one.

For the rice pudding, I used arborio rice and prepared it just as you would a risotto, but with coconut milk instead of broth and added sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, and candied ginger.


For the filling, I made cream cheese balls and rolled them in ground hazelnuts. 



After the risotto cooled, I flattened it out into rounds and placed the cheese balls in the center.


The initial risotto came out a tad bit stodgy, which I think helped make the balls easy to roll up.

 

I coated the balls with a mixture of panko bread crumbs, shredded coconut, and ground nuts.


I was a little nervous as to whether they would hold up while frying, but they did.


...and the centers:


The outside is crunchy and crisp from the panko and the coconut. The rice is just sweet enough with lovely spice and dried fruit. I couldn't taste the cheese in the middle very much, but it's always fun to find a creamy center. Served with some plain yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup, they make a nice pudding...or breakfast if you don't mind deep fried ones.


And finally, a fond farewell to VeganMofo 2015 (I hate good-byes). I'm so thankful to be part of a global vegan community. I've found so many wonderful blogs and people, and I hope to keep up with them throughout the year. Well done everyone!   xoxo

24 comments:

  1. Looks nice! You really did a good job, it looks so yummy!

    I'm happy to know you, it is a nice blog that you write, I hope you will continue to write because I'll continue to read you ! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manu, MoFo has been fun! I'm glad to have met you, and will be in touch via the blogs!

      Delete
  2. Wow, this is so impressive! I've never had arancini, but fried balls can't be wrong. The melty center is really tempting. I'm not sure I would eat them for breakfast... I'd probably just eat them all the night before!

    I'm looking forward to reading your future blog posts, it was fun getting to know you through your blog this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could eat them for breakfast either.

      It's been great fun getting to know you too! I will be reading your future posts too.

      Delete
  3. These look so awesome! I'm glad I found your blog this MoFo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Julie. I'm looking forward to reading your blog in the future.

      Delete
  4. What an awesome idea - I've never even though of dessert arancini! Congratulations on seeing the month out - I've enjoyed discovering your blog this MoFo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you too! This was a great MoFo, and I'm glad I found your awesome blog.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That looks so awesome. What a brilliant idea. Wish I could partake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe someday we can meet up in the VI and make some!

      Delete
  6. These look GREAT! Moist and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely think that I'd enjoy some sweet arancini, such a clever idea, particularly the sweet centres!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for stopping by. I'll be checking out the Off-season VMofo events!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the feedback on the upcoming prompts and link-ups!

      Delete
  9. MidWeek Munchies is UP! Swing by and check it out! Would love for you to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rose -- I am a bit confused -- are you leaving us as a blogger? I hope that is not the case! You have been a vegan blogger for quite some time. Although I am not a fine chef like you I am a vegan and have gotten some great ideas from you. Hope to see you on your blog in the future -- barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara,

      No, I'm not leaving. In fact, I just started blogging again after a long hiatus. I was just saying "good-bye" to the Vegan Month of Food, which was in September. I'll still be blogging, just not as much as I did during September.

      I'm glad to be back in the blogosphere again, I missed all my blog buddies!

      Delete
  11. mmm, what a great idea!! I love the idea of rice pudding arancini - especially with the cream cheese filling. My husband is a total nut for rice pudding, he would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the sound of these and have really enjoyed reading your Mofo posts.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...