Sunday, October 11, 2009

Chioggia Beets


Chioggia beets are one of my favorite of favorites...I love veggies that have a surprise inside. Chioggia's are a sweet, Italian heirloom variety. I picked these up at my local Farmers' Market.

First, I roasted some:


...along with shallots in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, topped with toasted walnuts and fresh thyme:

Delicious hot or cold

Then, I shredded some raw in a salad with carrots, celeriac and apple, and dressed it in flaxseed oil, fresh lemon juice, fresh orange juice and a splash of Bragg's Liquid Aminos:


Ciao for now. ;)

4 comments:

  1. oh wow. I love chiogga beets too. they are just so incredibly beautiful - and tasty too! I love the raw and roasted presentations, very nice. I've got a giant red beet in my fridge... just waiting to be eaten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    I love chiogga beets too! But then again of course I do since they are Italian. Chiogga's are so beautiful as well as sweet and tasty. Have you tried to grow them? If yes, how tough are they to grow?

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amey and Alicia,

    Thanks for your comments. Chioggas are wonderful.

    Alicia: I haven't tried growing these, but I do want to in future.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...