Saturday, October 10, 2009

Baja-style Tacos w/ Lobster Mushrooms and Tempeh

Baja-style tempeh tacos w/ slaw and soy yogurt dressing
from Veganomicon

When I saw C'est La Vegan's post earlier in the week about Baja-style Tempeh Tacos, it looked so good that I put the recipe on my list of things to make. The recipe is from Veganomicon, and it doesn't call for the mushrooms, but after all, Baja-style tacos are often fish-based, so why couldn't they be Lobster Mushroom-based?

Lobster Mushrooms: the one on the left is 7" across

On Lobster Mushrooms: I've never had them before. As a matter of fact, I've never even seen them around these parts before. But oddly enough, I stopped at the store on my way home today...and there they were. Strange creatures that they are, I couldn't resist. Then I couldn't wait to try them, so I used them in tonight's recipe.

The tacos are good; tangy and crunchy from the slaw and creamy from the lime & yogurt dressing. The recipe calls for soy yogurt, but I used plain coconut milk yogurt instead. The mushrooms were very solid and stayed pretty firm even after I sauteed them; so along with the tempeh, these tacos had plenty of texture.

5 comments:

  1. Rose,

    Dinner last night looks good! I love lobster mushrooms. Do you have a Wegman's near you, they have lobster mushrooms quite regularly at the one near us.

    I hate to admit that I don't use my cookbooks very often either. That is one reason I tried to force myself to use "The Professional Chef" this month. It is such a waste to have all of them sit on a shelf after I have read them once.

    Blogger was acting up yesterday, I didn't see your post until just now even though you posted it hours ago.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,

    Did this actually get posted yesterday? I tried to publish it, but I didn't see it go live on the blog. On top of that our electricity went out all of a sudden (blown fuse I guess, but it was kind of spooky) so between all the craziness, I didn't think it had been posted.
    I reposted today, with a better photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,

    I saw it today posted as yesterday. But, I didn't see it until I sent the comment. It was very odd. It wasn't the top post. I was very confused ... but it doesn't take much of a technology glick to throw me off.

    I assume the electricity issue is worked out? Or, are you at a coffee shop ;) Since you are in Seattle there is probably one on your block. Lucky you!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alicia,

    No, I'm at home, we just had to flip the fuse box thingy. Anyway, it's strange because even this morning (Sat) I was still seeing the post from Thursday as the latest post. I wasn't able to see the taco post until I reposted about 45 minutes ago.

    Anyway, glad it's the weekend. There are lots of coffee shops in Seattle, but I never go to any; I'm a homebody, plus coffee is something I could easily live without. I rarely drink the stuff. The only time I ever get a craving for it is when the weather is hot...strange huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose,

    We are home bodies too so I understand.

    I adore coffee and particularly espresso. However, I have been working hard to give it up because I know it isn't good for me.

    Iced coffee in the summer is the best!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...