Sunday, February 21, 2010

Recipes from the Blogosphere: Super Healthy Salad


I was thrilled when I saw this recipe for Wilted Kale and Mustard Greens Salad over on Manifest:Vegan blog (thanks for the recipe Manifest: Vegan!). In addition to the great recipe, the post contains an interview with "The Blissful Chef," a lovely macrobiotic chef from LA, which is really interesting too.

I've been trying to eat either collards, kale, or mustard greens as part of my vegetable intake every day...they are all powerhouses of nutrition and so good for you...so this salad really caught my eye. It's quick and simple, with no added oils, and in addition to the nutritious greens,  it calls for walnuts, which provide Omega 3's.

The salad is essentially raw, but wilted by massaging the greens in grapefruit juice, salt, and agave. I'm sure it's the salt that does the wilting, but I think the citric acid from the grapefruit might also alter the proteins in the greens and make them softer...not sure about that though.

massaged greens

The next time I make it (and I will be making this a lot) I will follow the exact recipe. But  this time, I didn't have any tomato or avocado on hand, so I decided to give it an Asian-y twist. Instead of  tomatoes and avocado, I added yellow pepper, scallions, and cabbage. Instead of the portobella cap, I used shitake mushrooms and sauteed them in equal parts water, Bragg's Aminos, and sake for a teriyaki-type flavor. Also used hemp seeds instead of walnuts. The end result was really tasty...which ever way you make it, I definitely recommend giving it a try.

16 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks so much for sharing this. I can't wait to make a variation of it. My plan for tomorrow was some sort of salad with raw kale. Your timing with the post was perfect.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ali,

    I know, isn't this a great recipe? I couldn't recommend it enough...no oil...very little sugar from the agave and all those nutritious greens w/ walnuts to boot...my version probably has more sodium than the original because of the Bragg's, but I think this will be a great lunch salad to take to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree! That looks like one great nutritious salad. Do you have leftovers so you can tell me now how it travels? Just curious.

    What did John think of it. He is my Dan barometer.

    talk to you later,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take leftovers with me tomorrow, so I'll let you know...I didn't try serving it to John uncooked...I sauteed the whole thing for John, greens and all, and he ate it. He's a bit sketchy when it comes to most raw veggies..wilted or not.

    It's my suspicion that Dan will be more open to this than John, as he is a healthier eater in general.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to hear how well this packs!

    If the store has what I need, I am making a version of this tomorrow. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your version; I'm sure it will be a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. I am still planning to make the Mustard Greens soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both versions look really good, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SV,

    Let me know how your version of the mustard soup turns out.

    Janet,

    This is a really great salad...hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a felicitous post, Rose! :-) I've never heard of "massaged greens," and am eager to try this! Your version as well as the original sound great, and we adore fresh greens and enjoy lots of big salads. I've never eaten kale raw, and this sounds like a great way to do it! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laloofah...

    Felicitous...thanks, that made my day.

    I used the lacinato or dinosaur kale for this and it worked well.

    Let me know how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried massaged kale a while ago and thought it was great. I was surprised at how tender the kale became. Thanks for reminding me to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea,

    I know, I was surprised how tender it was too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have seen you in the vegan blogosphere many times and decided I was overdue in saying hello!

    I read your profile and think is it great that you are interested in veganic gardening! Very cool! Talk about taking organic to a whole new level of awesome! You go, Rose!

    Your super healthy salad looks delicious! I love salads! Although I love eating a lot of things--it's hard to narrow it down. :)

    Take care, Rose! I'll talk to you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Vegan Valerie,

    Nice to meet you. I'll be checking out your blog soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unlike most businesses in other industries, healthcare organizations do not get paid until after services have been rendered because, as also different in other industries, the consumer receiving services is NOT who is fully responsible for paying for them. shake shack diabetic

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...