Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Roasted Fennel Soup with Walnuts



I was disappointed by the color of this soup; it turned out a little murky. I think the culprit was the homemade veggie broth I used, which was dark in color. The roasted fennel brings out some sweetness, and adds a light fennel flavor accented by the walnuts and walnut oil.

Ingredients
1 large fennel bulb, ~ 1.5 lbs worth
1 large leek, chopped, ~ 1.5 cups
1 stalk celery, chopped, ~ 1/2 cup
3 garlic cloves
two medium potatoes, chopped ~ 1.5 cups
4 cups veggie broth or water
1 tbsp olive oil or Earth Balance
pinch of red pepper flakes
walnut oil for drizzling
lightly toasted chopped walnuts
salt and pepper to taste
optional: 1 cup non-dairy milk or Mimic Cream (Mimic Cream is just a combination of almond and cashew cream...use homemade if you have time)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, cut the fennel into quarters, drizzle with walnut oil and bake in oven until tender.

Meanwhile, saute the leek, celery, garlic, and pinch of chili flake in 1 tbsp oil until beginning to tender. Toss in potatoes and veggie broth. Bring to simmer and let cook until potatoes are tender. Roughly chop the roasted fennel and add to soup. Puree in blender. Return to pot, stir in non-dairy milk if using, and salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, top with chopped walnuts, drizzle with walnut oil and garnish with fennel sprigs.

5 comments:

  1. Rose,

    I think the soup looks like a very pretty color in the pic. The flavor combination sounds great!

    I make different versions of vegetable stock depending on how I am going to use them. When I need a light colored broth I don't include many onion skins. They seem to be what causes the broth to get much more dark in color.

    talk to you soon,
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you're right Alicia. I don't keep track of what I throw in at any given instance...it could have been onion skin, bits of red cabbage, potato skin...anyway it's a good tip to keep the veggie broth color in mind,as color is a very important dimension of soup...at least I think so. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,

    When I am being really organized in the kitchen (it does happen on occasion) I keep the veggie trim in different freezer bags for making stock. I find if I have the onions in a separate bag I seem to have more control over the color of the stock. I don't often use light colored veggie stock, but sometimes you just need it.

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia,

    You have the diligence it takes to run an effective kitchen, I don't know whether you'd ever consider it, but you would be a great head-of-kitchen in a restaurant setting...I've worked in many restaurants (and bakeries--mainly as drudge labor--but I think I have a grip on what it takes to be a good leader in that environment;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose,

    Thanks (blushing) :) You are too sweet!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...